Skip navigation links
Agenda
Communiqués
Publications
FAQ
Liens
Recrutement
Sms2Citizen
Contact
Site Esch/Belval 

An integrated factory : Adolf-Emil-Hütte. 

In 1907, the company Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks AG decided to construct a new factory. The brother Adolf and Emil Kirdorf could not acquire the terrain necessary for their project at the commune Lorraine Russange in France. As a result,they turned to the municipality Esch-sur-Alzette, where Léon Metz accorded them the parcelle of Clair-Chêne. Situated between Esch-sur-Alzette and Belvaux, the factory Adolf-Emil, constructed from 1909 to 1912, was integrated in every step of the iron production, from the preparation of ore to the final product. In addition to that, the factory disposed of a blast furnace and of steelwork. It ranged over a terrain of 222 ha. Six blast furnaces with a daily output of 200 barrels at a time, a gigantic compressor, a Thomas steelwork with two mixers (800 barrels) and four convertors (18 barrels), even so a core lamination of six streams allow production of a wide diversity of intermediate products sold outside (ingot and bar) to finished products leaving the mill (beams, U-irons, irons sections, piling, Hardware, oversized).  In 1913, 3.131 workers (65% foreigners) produced 400.000 barrels of cost iron, 360 000 barrels of iron steel and 297 000 barrels of rolled steel.

An integrated factory : Adolf-Emil-Hütte.

In 1907, the company Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks AG decided to construct a new factory. The brother Adolf and Emil Kirdorf could not acquire the terrain necessary for their project at the commune Lorraine Russange in France. As a result,they turned to the municipality Esch-sur-Alzette, where Léon Metz accorded them the parcelle of Clair-Chêne. Situated between Esch-sur-Alzette and Belvaux, the factory Adolf-Emil, constructed from 1909 to 1912, was integrated in every step of the iron production, from the preparation of ore to the final product. In addition to that, the factory disposed of a blast furnace and of steelwork. It ranged over a terrain of 222 ha. Six blast furnaces with a daily output of 200 barrels at a time, a gigantic compressor, a Thomas steelwork with two mixers (800 barrels) and four convertors (18 barrels), even so a core lamination of six streams allow production of a wide diversity of intermediate products sold outside (ingot and bar) to finished products leaving the mill (beams, U-irons, irons sections, piling, Hardware, oversized).  In 1913, 3.131 workers (65% foreigners) produced 400.000 barrels of cost iron, 360 000 barrels of iron steel and 297 000 barrels of rolled steel.

A modern Factory: ARBED Esch/Belval


The factory was upgraded in the 1960s. Three new blast furnaces replaced the six original elements. The blast furnace A, with a capacity of daily production of 2300 tons built in  1965. The blast furnaces B ( 3000t) and C (4000t) followed in 1969 and 1979. The new steel work LD-AC (Linz-Donawitz-ARBED- research centre) with its two converters of 125 tones were built in 1967. In 1973, shortly before the crises, this integrated factory persists of 6875 workers and 1006 employees and had its strongest daily production: 1782000 tones of steel and 1513000 tones of iron.


From blast furnace to electric oven


The steel crises in des 1990s forced the ARBED group to make technical restrictions. The blast furnaces were shut down one after the other; the last one held until the 28th of august 1997. After this point the steel production was made in the electric ovens, supplied, with discarded metal. In May 1997 an electric oven, made by Mannesmann Demag Hüttentechnik (MDH) and with an inside diameter of 7, 6 meters an d a capacity of 155 tones, is activated. IN September 1996 the new masticator built by SMS/Paul Würth is also activated, its production is declined since then in three dimensions: bars, skelps and iron girders.

Belval, a future area
On the east side of the factory the production continuous, the west side however decreases to a industrial fellow. Then the western area grows suddenly to an urban zone. One of the three blast furnaces is sold to China, while the other two (A and B) are developed to be a part of a tour of the future national centre of industrial culture, and are part of the industrial heritage. The whole area around the old blast furnaces is part of the scientific quarter, of research and innovation. It will host different structures of the University of Luxemburg, many research centres and the national archives.

National centre of industrial culture
In the immediate surrounding of the blast furnaces will be the national centre of industrial culture (CNCI). The mission of this new structure will be the reanimation of the knowledge about industrial commissioning, the built-up of historical documents about the industrialisation as well as to insist on the subject of work today. The Blast furnaces will be the main subject of several public visits. The impressive buildings of the blast furnace A will serve as location for many various exhibitions. This project is fisrt of all interactive and educational.

(Cutout of “Sur les Traces du Passé”-on the marks of the past-, www.fondationbassinminier.lu)

Don’t miss the exhibition “Cité des sciences”-city of science- which is available for the public in the “Messenoire” room.


 

 

 

 

RSS feeds